Salvage Association

When an accident occurs the first person to learn about it will usually be the duty superintendent.  He should promptly pass details to the insurance manager who will in turn alert: The insurance broker so that the underwriters can be advised and arrangements made  for the underwriters’ surveyor (probably the Salvage Association) to attend the vessel to inspect any damage; b) The P & I Club if there have been any personal injuries, if cargo is lost or damaged, if third parties are involved, or if there is any threat of pollution; c) The average adjuster if appropriate; d) The owner and charterer, continuing to keep both informed as the situation develops. e) An appropriate Lawyer, possibly in conjunction with the P & I Club. In the meantime, the technical departments will be in contact with the vessel, trying to assess the extent of damage and formulating plans for dealing with the immediate situation and for temporary/permanent repairs.  The Classification Society will have to be informed. The ship’s staff should ensure that full records of their actions relating to an accident are carefully maintained.  Photographs illustrating any damage are frequently useful. Log books, course recorders, echo sounder print-outs, etc. must be preserved. It is vitally important that such documents are only made available to owners or their proper representatives, not to charterers, their solicitors, foreign port authorities, or the press, etc. In due course the vessel will arrive at the repair port where work, possibly including drydocking, will have to be put in hand. The manager’s superintendent will be in attendance, together with Salvage Association and Classification surveyors.  A P & I surveyor may also be necessary if cargo has been damaged.  The Salvage Association is an organisation with world wide representation set up to look after underwriters’ interests, and they will have to certify the cost of any repairs as being fair and reasonable.