What is Law? is in fact one of the hardest questions for any lawyer to answer because there is no single answer. Societies have rules and that all societies have their own set of rules. Societies call these rules the legal system or the law. Legal rules have the main following purposes:
- Rules prohibiting or compelling certain behavior
- Rules relating to the compensation by one person to another for injury caused
- Rules relating to certain procedural issues (making of wills, contracts, the transfer of home, land)
- Guidelines relating to punishment for those who break certain rules
- Administrative rules for the running of the country
- Rules regulating the legislature
Concept of law is much more than this. Law is concerned with both obligatory and optional behavior; with authority: with morality and justice.